Wednesday 13 September 2017

Recent Reads Reviewed #3


Chocolat by Joanne Harris - 4/5

I’m a little behind with my recent reads reviewed posts, I read Chocolat around Easter time. The story is centred on Vianne Rocher who moves to a small french village with her young daughter to set up a chocolate shop. Some of the village residents are against the shop, and see it as a religious sin. Slowly though Vianne makes friends, and people come around to her ideas. I loved the descriptions of tasty treats being made, and in general the writing was a delight and the characters came across very genuine. However there was a chapter or two half way through that felt a bit slow, the writing was quite dense from time to time, and I knocked it down one star for this reason. I would recommend to give it a go nonetheless, great to read at Easter (or anytime really!).


When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman - 5/5

Like Chocolat, I picked this up in a community free bookshop around Easter this year. The blurb was very mysterious, but intriguing nonetheless. Based around a brother and a sister, this is a book about childhood, growing up and friendships. I was pleasantly pleased to find I enjoyed this book very much, I was captivated by the writing style and endearing characters. I would say it’s a character driven novel, which appeals to me, and yet I felted engrossed and keen to read on. I loved the sentimental and loving representation of family and relationships. I could imagine a range of people enjoying it so I fully recommend. 


Front Roe: How to Be the Leading Lady in Your Own Life by Louise Roe – 5/5

Louise Roe is known for presenting ‘Plain Jane’ a makeover TV show, she also does some other TV work and now has a YouTube channel. She brought out this fashion, beauty and lifestyle book in 2015, I purchased it while it was fairly new but only recently finished it this year. It’s one of the nicest self-help, beauty manual type books I’ve read. Louise shares some in depth extremely helpful content but in a fun and chatty way. I would say I favour it over Lauren Conrad’s books, although I love those too! Louise covers all sorts of topics, such as how to find your style, daily life advice and inside beauty tips. One of my favourite non-fiction reads of 2017!


Here’s a sneak peek to see what you can find in Louise’s coffee table book….




Do any of these books interest you? What coffee table books would you recommend? :-) Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment